Useful information about Batumi and Georgia
Museum of Local Lore Batumi.
One of the most beautiful cities of Georgia Batumi A lot of tourists visit it annually, and not only to lie on the sand, but also to get acquainted with the sights of the city.
One of the quiet streets of Batumi, Dzhincharadze street, will lead to the old house 4, in which the city museum of local lore is located. As in any other museum of a similar orientation, its employees acquaint everyone interested in this region with its history. & Nbsp;
1. History of the museum.
The museum appeared more than a hundred years ago. The official opening date is March 19, 1908. The first exhibits were collected by enthusiasts of the Pushkin School under the leadership of Nikolai Goman, who conducted labor lessons in this educational institution. Until 1930, the number of exhibits grew so much that the question arose of relocating valuable exhibits to a more convenient and spacious place. It was decided to place the museum in the building of the former Treasury. The exhibits continued to remain, and the premises for their accommodation became scarce, which necessitated the construction of a second floor over the older, 1883 building, which was carried out in 1957.
In several departments, natural monuments and collections in the field of archeology began to be located. From 1938 to 1989, the museum was headed by Hariton Akhvlediani, whose name the museum bears to this day.
2. Departments of the museum of local lore.
The museum has about two hundred exhibits distributed in four main departments:
- to the department of nature. There are 6,700 copies in this department. Herbaria represented in the herbaria will help visitors to the museum to present the whole variety of plants characteristic of Georgia. And in the zoological corner you can get acquainted with the representatives of the fauna, as many exhibits of stuffed animals, birds and fish, as well as a huge skeleton of a whale,
- department of archeology. Expositions of the relief and geological structure of Georgia, a collection of minerals will interest residents and visitors of the city. Fifteen hundred exhibits represented by ancient tools, jewelry, dishes, cash equivalents will allow us to imagine how this area developed and changed under the influence of historical events. They were mined during excavations and dated to the Stone Age, & nbsp;
- the department of ethnography. This department stores antique wooden, glass and leather products that delight lovers of antiquities. Preserved wedding dresses, gloves. Carpets, clothes of church ministers makes this exhibition even more valuable, & nbsp;
- the department of history. On photographs, posters, canvases of this department you can see people, images, documents of past centuries. Along one of the walls of the museum are mannequins in full display. They wear armor, chain mail, they are armed with a bow and arrow, and this causes a stir among the boys who came to these walls.
More than 60 thousand rare library exhibits and more than 2 thousand manuscripts in different languages are in the museum. Naturally, the main part of the collection reflects the cultural and everyday features of Georgia.